Sunday, April 19, 2015

First day back in it

I wrote this post March 16th and never published it. I don't remember why I chose not to, but I like it.

~~~

Today was such a good day.  So much love to Andrew, Carson, Jeph, Trey, and Ryan for sharing this beautiful day with me at Blowing Rock.  Climbing for the first time since surgery in September was really exciting and scary, I'm so lucky to have such caring friends beside me.  The long recovery process was totally worth every ache and pain to get to play on the 5.10 wall in the sun.

Six months ago, I had major shoulder surgery.  When the doctor told me that a six month recovery is a hopeful timeline, I had no idea how to handle everything.  The entire bouldering season was gone.  Snatched from under my nose.  I had so many Southeast projects to do before moving to Colorado this summer, and I had to train to climb out west.  I had to just give all that up and accept what I couldn't change.  I was really upset about missing out on the southeastern winter when Andrew pointed out that March isn't super warm in Boone.  After realizing that I might be able to catch the last of the cold weather, I entered my recovery process with a vengeance.  I focused on healthy eating, hydrating, and obsessively did my physical therapy workouts.  And it all paid off.  Today was an amazing end to my recovery and a beginning to so much more work.

Looking back on how afraid I was, it's amazing how far I've come and how much I've accomplished.  It doesn't seem like much to someone else, but I'm so psyched to be climbing on jugs again.  I'm about as strong a climber as I was four years ago, but I don't care at all.  All I need is dry weather, friends, and the amazing Boone rock.

Good friends <3

Blowing Rock sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment