Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Yep, I moved to Boulder


I finally did what my high school self promised to every relative or random person who asked what I was planning for college: I moved to Boulder, CO.

Why now? Why go to college in Tennessee for three years and then blow it all my senior year by transferring schools and losing so many credits? It was a pretty bad choice if you base it solely off the desire to graduate in a reasonable time. But that's not the only influential factor.

I always wanted to be an Environmental Scientist or a Park Ranger. I had zero interest in being a Civil Engineer, which is where UT stuck me with the promise that I would complete the "Environmental Track" and I would be so incredibly happy and make lots of friends to play frisbee with on campus.

 Nobody really understands anything about college when they're a senior in high school. I didn't either. It was easy to go to UT with their promise that they totally had an Environmental Engineering option for undergrad. My parents kept encouraging me to actually look into the programs and the classes and see what I would be taking, but I was a senior in high school; I had better things to do, like hang out at the gym every day and not climb outside ever.

It turns out that once you get to college freshmen year, you still don't understand college at all. So I plodded along in gen eds for two semesters, then some gen ed engineering classes, then some civil classes. And I suddenly realized that I really really really hated civil engineering. Standing on a steep hill in the snow for an hour and a half during my geomatics surveying lab is what prompted my raging desire to get out of civil engineering school. I met with advisors and anyone at UT who would listen and everyone told me what my high school self could have figured out if I'd only tried: UT only has a graduate program for Environmental Engineering. I HAD to get a Civil Engineering degree first, and I would not do that.

So I applied to the school of Environmental Engineering at the university of my sixteen year old dreams in December of 2013. And they lost my application. So I sent it again in April. Then they accepted me in June, for June of that year. How wonderful. After I signed a year lease in Knoxville starting August 2014, and a three month lease in Boone for the summer. So I deferred admission for a year and lived in my various promised apartments. I spent that time in Knoxville getting super psyched on Soil Science, only to discover after spending two semesters studying soil that Boulder does not have a Soil Science program and that I should go to CSU if I wanted to be an Environmental Engineer Soil Scientist. No. Not transferring again.

Now I'm in Boulder, taking classes at the school of my dreams, explaining to people why a 21 year-old, fourth-year engineering student is in freshmen machine shop and repeating physics 1.

Graduation estimate: December 2017

But the Flatirons are beautiful from my bed :)
Also I can drink beer at all the amazing Colorado Breweries around me. I had this crazy earl grey infused wheat beer a few nights ago from FATE brewing that was so good.


Joes is only 7 hours away, rather than across the country


Day Day lookin Fresh

June in RMNP
Andrew Puffin dat Stone


Look really awkward and not psyched about hiking down

People in Boulder say they love being outside, but they really just enjoy squishing caterpillars in front of kids 
Early season Lower Chaos


No comments:

Post a Comment