Sunday, September 14, 2014

Step Two

Find a new hobby that connects to climbing:

I've accepted that I can't climb or train, but that doesn't mean that I can't still love it and be involved.  I'm over getting teary-eyed when my roommates share funny stories from the university gym, or not being able to even open my journal to my Bouldering Season To Do list.  I'm on to loving that all of my roommates enjoy climbing, and that my friends in Boone still like to hang out with me without climbing.  I'm back to watching climbing videos during lecture and reading climbing blogs under the counter at work.  And, there are so many things to do that still involve climbing!  Like take pictures that are borderline adequate with Andrew's camera that he traded me for my beastmaker this season!


Here's some of the better pictures I took today, with some basic photography lessons that might be wrong...

With some help, I learned how to work the manual focus with all the other settings on auto.  Scout modeled so patiently for me this morning:



I found out that a high F-stop (synonymous for aperture?) means less light into the picture, making Scout seem dark and mysterious.  (All she wants is to go lick some plastic bags)



Andrew looks so fall with a …regular? shutter speed and low aperture- which means a big hole to let in light, since the woody room is dark with the doors closed.



I got artsy with the manual focus out at lost cove.  Andrew sussing out beta for Black 45.  And then sum bad lighting decisions, but the boulder is gorgeous enough that I thought maybe it was okay.



I kinda figured out settings for a foggy day by the time Andrew was ready to leave.



There are no pictures of actual climbing because I had no clue how to take unblurry pictures of movement until later that afternoon when Jacob explained that a really low aperture- to let in as much light as possible, and a fast shutter speed is the place to start, and something else about ISO that I didn't understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment